Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:32:29 -0400
First of all, thanks to those of you who gave me suggestions about the
problem with blank messages being delivered to some members of a large
mailing list.  The problem seems to have been with sendmail, and in
particular with it having an inadequate amount of swap space.

Now on to the next problem.

We have a private internal mailing list.  I've defined a service area and
restricted the ability to send mail to it as follows:

* Service= earthweb.com,*.earthweb.com
* Send= Service

The problem is that I now want to allow one person outside of the service
area to post.  There doesn't seem to be a way to set this up.  Say his
address is [log in to unmask]  I don't want to have

* Service= earthweb.com,*.earthweb.com,foo.com

because then anyone else from the node will be able to send messages.  (Not
that that should be a problem since it's an internal list, but this
particular policy decision is not mine to make.)

It doesn't look like LISTSERV supports syntax like *
Service=earthweb.com,[log in to unmask] or Send= Service,[log in to unmask]

I've tried adding [log in to unmask] as an editor, but apparently that doesn't work.

The next step is to ask my boss for permission to remove the 'send=service'
part of the header, but before that I wanted to check and see if you all
had any suggestions.

We're running LISTSERV 1.8c.

Thanks a lot,
jwgh