Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:20:13 -0500
We are trying to establish a process, using two "companion" lists, that
will allow some subscribers to elect to participate in an unmoderated
discussion and some subscribers to participate in a moderated discussion
(and some to get the same posting from both lists if they *really* want
to). We have tried to set up the two lists as below with disastrous results
- a nasty loop. Here are the relevant keywords:

Unmoderated list, let's call it UNMOD-L:

  * Send= Editor,(UNMOD-L),(MOD-L)       [also tried  Private,(MOD-L)]

  This should allow subscribers to either list to post freely to the UNMOD-L
  list. Note: [log in to unmask] was ADDed to UNMOD-L as a subscriber.

Moderated list, MOD-L.

  * Send= Editor,Hold
  * Editor= [log in to unmask]

Subscribers to either list have been instructed to post only to the UNMOD-L
list. Subscribers to UNMOD-L should get all postings as soon as they get to
the server. Simultaneously, all postings should be sent to the editor of
MOD-L because MOD-L is a subscriber to UNMOD-L. The MOD-L list owner may or
may not release them, depending on whether they conform to the rules of the
MOD-L list. (Our rules require the editor to tell the poster why a message
is rejected, allowing the poster to modify their message and try again. The
editor may not modify a posting.)

Here's what happens to messages...
When a message is posted to UNMOD-L, the sender gets a message saying that
their posting has been sent to the owner of (get this) the UNMOD-L list,
not the MOD-L list!? If the sender is the editor of the MOD-L list, the
posting goes to UNMOD-L and MOD-L subscribers immediately but the sender
still gets the erroneous notification that their message was sent to the
UNMOD-L editor. Both lists have a BOTTOM_BANNER and both banners appear on
messages sent to MOD-L subscribers, that is those that go through because
they were posted to UNMOD-L by the MOD-L list editor. Also a loop is
started which required system manager intervention to stop. Neither of
these unanticipated consequences seems to be explainable.

Also, we would like the original poster to show as the Sender of the
messages that are distributed to the MOD-L list.

Any explanation of the unexpected effects would be greatly appreciated.
Alternative methods of accomplishing our goal would also be gratefully
received. Remember, all postings must go to UNMOD-L list subscribers
without any intervention.

Thanks.  Ed Paynter