Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:06:39 -0300
Well, like a lot of other things having to do with the involuntary imposition of bells and
whistles, this is easy to agree with but hard to implement:

> > It depends what email program you use, though.  I encourage
> > people here to use the Web interface because so many of them
> > have email programs that do all sorts of "helpful" things
> > behind their backs,
>
> An excellent reason to eschew such systems, at least for list
> work.

I suppose we can argue that list owners ought to be technically sophisticated enough to know
what their email programs are doing behind the page and eschew them, but it's just not going to
happen.  Every time I use a new one the learning curve's a little longer (even the new Pegasus,
which I'd expected would be upfront about that sort of thing, is doing all sorts of stuff I
don't know until I read my own email in pine or something).  Me, I use the Web interface on my
lists 85% of the time.  Less between me and listserv.

-- Russ

St. Thomas University
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/