Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:18:34 -0500
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Ballew Kinnaman wrote:
> in a rough order for your edification. I'm sure
> Pete or Winship or Nathan could do better,
> if they pleased to and had the time:

I'm not sure I should be included with Pete and Nathan (actually I am
sure I shouldn't,  as both know far more than I) but since I've been
sorta invited, perhaps, to do so I'll hazard a comment or so.

First, I'm with Pete, good job, pretty complete, and it suggests thinks
to watch out for, even if not explicitely stated  (that "thinks" ain't a
typo).

> 11. Announce your new group to NewList and
>   register with other list-availability-type
>   sites (PAML, TILE.NET, LISZT, etc.). Make
>   sure you show up in Catalyst, in time.

Perhaps not.  These days I would be adverse to any "announcement" of
a new list, and would advise  Conceal= Yes in the list header; you may
make your list a target (spam or other) by advertising it. Not too long
ago  someone asked, on this list, if there was a way to supress display
of the number of subscribers to a list on Catalist.  I just recently
set my largest list Conceal= Yes for precisely that reason.

Which reminds me, in the same vein, set the list Review= owners,
and use the .HH ON  .HH OFF settings in the list header (no point making
it easy for list raiders).

> Don't make a rule you won't enforce fiercely
>  against your own mother.

Or a list co-owner.
However, you should always have a co-owner, someone who actually knows
how to do the work if for some reason you temporarily can't (it's a 365
days per year job, and don't expect the manager of your host site to do
it for you).

There are of course more other little things than Scherezade would have
time to tell of, but not at all a bad guideline, Ballew.

Douglas  [log in to unmask]