Ruth Ginzberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 18:44:25 EDT
Hi,

I am wondering how others deal with the apparently increasing problem
(at least on my list) of subscribers whose systems seem to be down
or otherwise not receiving mail every weekend from roughly Fri nite
until Mon morning.  What I'd LIKE to do is to educate all these folks
to set their options to nomail on Fri night before they go home, but
that seems kind of futile.

I have my list set to the defaults of
 Validate = no
 Auto-Delete= Yes,Delay(4),Max(100)

but I guess a lot of subscribers whose machines generate delivery errors
on weekends also don't use standardized error reporting, because it seems
like my mailbox fills up with error notifications from nonstandard
installations just about every weekend. (Thank heavens the list is
usually quieter than normal on weekends.)

This makes it very demotivating for me to check in & see what is
happening in the midst of my own weekend life  :-)  since the thought
of several hundred error notifications is not particularly inspiring
to me on a lovely Saturday afternoon.

I'm wondering what would happen if I put the list on Full-Auto, though
I take the advice not to do that (from Appendix B of the manual) seriously,
for the reasons stated.  Hmmm - anybody switch their list header back & forth
from Full-Auto for weekends to Auto-Delete=Yes during the week?  How does that
work out for you?  Any pitfalls?  That is what I am thinking of trying.

TIA

Ruth Ginzberg, Spanie-L Listowner (& a few other misc lists)

----- RUTH GINZBERG <[log in to unmask]> -----