Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 17:00:31 -0500
At 11:57 AM 2/4/99 -0500, Pete Weiss wrote:
>Not unless the list-owner spoofs email ... which is probably a violation
>of a law or AUP.

I doubt that any law applies here.  And are there any AUP's that forbid
"spoofing" of another email address that is yours or under your
control?  Note, I'm posting this from a pop account but the "From:"
points to my shell account on a different ISP... and I do this all the
time (it really helps me to procmail things, but I like offline
handling of most mail reading-and-replying operations).

I'm presuming the original poster meant "listname-request" rather than
"listserv-request," which would be an address under his "control".

However, the original poster proposed:
::   3. It will describe the service and say; "If you do not want to receive
:: these announcements, do nothing. If you do, reply to this message with the
:: one word 'OK'".
::
::    Thus, this e-mail will serve the dual purpose of announcing the
:: service,and allowing those who want to get it to sign up painlessly.

And that *may well* violate AUP's... it sounds awfully much like
UBE (Unsolicited Bulk Email) even if targeted.

Cheers,
Stan