"David L. Carlson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 09:38:05 -0500
I wonder if we could benefit from some hints/suggestions on how to make list
management easier from the various experts out there?  I too found getting
hundreds of error messages a day frustrating (the worst was leaving town for
a week and returning to find over 2000 messages in my box) until I developed
a strategy that works for me.  I suspect other listowners have developed
other ways of dealing with them and I'd like to here them.  I have separate
accounts for my list.  My owner's account (where the error messages go is
NOT subscribed to the list).  My regular email account is subscribed to the
list so I get list messages there and all the error messages go to a
separate account (on VM).  I can log onto my VM account and block delete all
of the messages.  Then I page through the headers and read selectively to
see if I need to drop a subscription and to find any messages from
subscribers that were sent to that account.  I can get rid of 200 messages
in 5 minutes this way and I only need to look at one demon.co.uk message,
not all 50+.

With a single account, the same effect could probably be created by using
filters to direct mail into different boxes (the commercial version of
Eudora can do this, for instance).
David L. Carlson                                   ARCH-L Listowner
Anthropology Department                  Phone: (409) 845-4044
Texas A&M University                   Telefax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352       Internet: [log in to unmask]