Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:59:24 -0300
This is a new one on me.  I recently received an "X has received
your messsage and will respond" note when someone subscribed to
a list. I wrote the person to query it (receiving another
receipt notice in reponse), and tell her that I'd have to set
her NOPOST to avoid, well, you know what.

She wrote back and said "That is my bounce back message at work.
We are obliged to use them because of the freedom of information
act" (this is from Britain).

Has anyone else heard of this?  If this actually were the case,
I'd have assumed that we'd all have been flooded with receipt
notices. Or perhaps it _is_ the case, and LISTSERV is silently
dealing with it the way it does with other loops and various out
of office bots?

-- RussSt. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/