Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:01:45 -0700
I believe that Charles Oriez's answers to Susanne Lamido's questions are making
a relatively simple process more difficult than it needs to be.  It appears to
me that what Susanne is trying to achieve is exactly what we have with a number
of our EEAC lists.  We have 21 active lists.  All of our lists are Private.
Eight of our lists require completion of a subscription questionnaire and
approval by the listowners before the subscription is established.  For each of
these lists, we have placed the questionnaire as the text in the ADDREQ1
template.  The first 3 lines of each template contain the following:

.RE [log in to unmask] (appropriate owner address for that list)
.TO &WHOM
.FO OFF

The text of the questionnaire contains a number of personal questions to
determine whether or not the applicant meets the membership criteria for that
list.  The actual screening is done by the listowner after the questionnaire is
returned.

We have one subscription registration form on our website for all of our lists,
which is driven by a script that sends the SUBSCRIBE commands to the checked
lists.  This, in turn, returns either a subscription confirmation form or a
questionnaire, as determined by the ADDREQ1 template.  In addition, we have
descriptions of each list there, so that potential subscribers can determine
which lists are appropriate.  If anyone is interested in seeing the webpage
containing the registration form, you can access it at:

http://www.eeadopt.net/site/eeac/section.php?id=49

Rather than waste the space here, I am going to privately send Susanne the full
text of one of our questionnaires.  If anyone else is interested in seeing it,
please contact me privately.

Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org