Tue, 8 Oct 1996 20:05:38 -0500
On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, David G. McDivitt wrote:

> it be other people don't think to look at the return address, either? Actually a
> good many don't. Each time I see it happen, I always post a message to whatever
> list and explain why people should blank out their reply-to fields. From my

I would suggest that perhaps it would be better to educate people as to
proper use of the field rather than telling them never to use it.

I would guess that maybe you don't deal with lists which regularly have
long surveys, say ten screens of questions.  One definitely wants replies
to those to go to the sender, not the list.  Same goes for notices of
conventions, conferences, etc. with applications attached.  One doesn't
want those sent to the list (the person in charge will probably never see
such if sent to the list).

I still like  Both,Respect .  We've been using it for seven years
now with reasonable success, and we don't have to yell at subscribers
who missend items which should be sent privately nearly as much as we
used to.  After years of lectures they do seem to paying a bit more
attention.  Or, cyincally, maybe their mail systems hold their hand
every step of the way so they don't stray from the proper path.  :-)

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L