Dave Trissel <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:46:21 -0600
Like some other list owners I've made the switch from an American
University gateway to Newsguy. Unfortunately, also like others, my repeated
attempts to have the old gateway turned off are being ignored.

The problem is that all posters to the newsgroup I'm gatewayed to are
getting errant warning messages for each post regardless of how I configure
my list.

If I totally eliminate the old gateway, or set it NOMAIL, then the A.U.
gateway returns bounce-back messages to newsgroup posters claiming they
aren't permitted to post to the mailing list. This is confusing to
newsgroup posters because their posts are actually successful but they
think that they are not.

So I figured I'd let the old gateway post to my list and see what happens.
Now all newsgroup posters are receiving a message that their posts are
rejected as duplicates from one already received (by the *new* gateway.)

Not using the new gateway until the old one goes away is not a solution
because the old A.U. gateway tends to go down for days before coming back
up causing major message loss.

I was hoping I could avoid the entire problem by somehow letting the old
gateway post but to effective ignore such posts. Unfortunately, even if I
set the old gateway to REVIEW (so I could reject its postings) the Listserv
Owners Manual says a message will go out for each post indicating it is
being reviewed. This would probably cause newsgroup subscribers to think
they are being censored and my mailbox would be hit by a firestorm of
e-mail - something to definitely avoid.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there no way to permit the old gateway to post
and yet totally ignore its postings?

Thanks in advance!

---

Dave Trissel  Prostatitis List Manager