Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 May 1994 10:15:32 EDT
On Tue, 24 May 1994 01:35:40 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>Well, unfortunately these  problems are quite new and there  is no single
>place where you  can conveniently say "toss all mail  from XYZ.COM". This
>will clearly have to be added to the next release.

Eric, developing  a filtering mechanism  to "toss  all mail from  XYZ.COM" is
definitely needed,  however, this begs the  question of what to  do about net
abusers who post their crap to Listserv lists via Usenet mirrors.

A case in point is that guy who posted the message about the end of the world
to every Usenet newsgroup  to which he had access. As  a result, all Listserv
lists  in the  bit.listserv hierarchy  received this  guy's crap.  I have  my
Listserv lists set so that only subscribers can post messages there, however,
since this  junk mail  originated on  my List's  Usenet mirror,  the Listserv
which hosts my list willingly distributed the mail message.

In order for  a filter to block  out all postings from a  particular host, it
must also  block out postings from  that host that are  submitted via Usenet.
The challenge  for Eric is  not only  to develop a  new filter to  block mail
messages sent directly  Listserv lists; its also filtering out  the crap that
comes from abuses of Usenet that  affect Listserv or perhaps the mechanism at
American University which  permits mirroring news groups  with Listserv lists
needs to be changed so it too has a filtering mechanism.

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.