Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:36:22 -0700
Aldo-Pier Solari writes

>The  issue, here, is that various .com sources start using sig files
>for announcements to PUMP IN their  PR "n" times/year ONCE they have
>been warned NOT TO abuse of the forum: This implies, in my  view,  a
>clear  abuse  of  the  unwritten  law  that  "sig  files may include
>whatever".

Certainly there was no such problem observable in Ms. Nachman's signature.
It contained no "PR", only a pointer to a Web page.  No solicitation was
made, and no advertising was presented.  I think your "issue" is a canard.

>In  FISH-ECOLOGY, several senior scientists have complained for this
>and I'll make sure they'll not leave because of some lousy companies
>which do not care a damned thing about scientific work.

Yawn.

>Finally, I find, in general,  AMERICAN  listowners to be too liberal
>to abusers of such a kind.  Those .com sources are the ones  who'll,
>in  the  future,  make the academic world PAY for their megalomaniac
>network abuses.

Yep, those damned Americans!  Aldo, if I was ever inclined to take you
seriously, this sort of gross generalization certainly would tend to work
against that inclination.  The only abuser I've seen in this exchange has
been you.

>Those who commented my poster  objected  to "netiquette" but did not
>read, in the text, the threat to academic list owners.

I believe that I failed to "read, in the text, the threat to academic list
owners" because it, in fact, wasn't there.

>PERHAPS,  it is high time to have a forum for european list managers.

What a fine idea.  Would you then be unsubscribing from this list?

--
Lefty [gYon-Pa] <[log in to unmask]>