"Heller, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:22:21 -0800
Hi everyone,

About a week ago I posed a question regarding apparent line breaks in URLs sent through Listserv. Many of you responded via the list and I received several other messages off-list. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I feel that I should provide a summary of what I found out, so here goes:

Listserv does NOT create line breaks of any kind. Any breaking of URLs happens due to the specific mail client that is used. There are default settings in mail clients that can control linebreaking in mail messages.

If I am understanding this properly, it appears that some people will always receive our messages with broken URLs and some will always receive them clean. And, there's no way for us to control it. Of course, as one person stated, "why not just use short URLs?" :) That is our goal, but not always possible.

Thanks again,
Paul Heller
Community Developer & Email List Host
Classroom Connect