"William H. Magill" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:40:07 -0500
For what it's worth... this is how your recent message to LISTOWN
appears to emacs under Unix. (Emacs is very good at showing you what is
really there, not what your browser or terminal emulator "interprets" for
you.)

>   From: "Gvran Larsson" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>   Hi,
>
>   Thanks for your input. I feel though I didn't explain enough.
>
>   We have not changed the list configuration in any way. The only new =20
>   thing was the bottom banner and we didn't have any problems with the =20
>   swedish characters before this change. But what is most peculior is =20
>   that it is only in the body text the characters get distorted. The =20
>   swedish characters in the bottom banner show up correctly. Is this of =20
>   any help in trying to pin point our problem?
>
>   G=F6ran =20
>
>   =2D----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
>   Fr=E5n: nitewing
>   Skickat: den 11 mars 2000 03:05
>   Till: LSTOWN-L
>   =C4mne: Re: Bottom banner problem

Notice the extraneous =20 showing up on the ends of lines.

I can't tell from the messge headers, but I would be willing to bet that
there is a Microsoft Exchange sever lurking in your path.

While other MTAs also do this, ME has been a particularly agrivating one
with this =20 business. (And I think Eudora also does it as a MUA if not
configured correctly.)

BTW... I happen to agree with Stan... ASCII is a 7 bit code.
(zero to 127 decimal) Extended ASCII (0-256)is really a butchering of
EBCDIC, and there is no standard for it... there are several.

--
                     www.tru64unix.org
T.T.F.N.