Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 21:52:04 EDT
On Tue, 13 Sep 1994 16:14:29 MST Dan Lester said:
>Douglas, I'm confused.  Are you just using AUTOCAT as an example?
>
>I can see why one might want it to be REALLY private if it were
>the CHILMOLE list for child molesters or something, but even
>gay-libn and bisexu-l aren't totally private.  Are the catalogers
>of the library world getting so private and paranoid that they
>don't even want anyone to know that they are on the list, or what
>the list is about?  o-)

   No, Dan; we haven't become paranoid (at least I don't think so
    but then perhaps we would be the last to know!).  It is just
    that Douglas, using good advice from other subscribers to
    LSTOWN-L along with his own creativity, had installed a system of walls
    devised to keep out unwanted advertisements and other non-
    relevant postings while being transparent to our own subscribers.
    And then a forger breached our walls.  This was annoying, to say
    least and so we are trying to devise protection against future
    and more damaging forgers.   At present we are blue-skying to
    come up with possible tools but we certainly don't intend to
    devise a cure that would be worse than the disease.

>Or has AUTOCAT just kept the old title and changed to KINKYLIB since
>I was last on it?

    Why don't you re-subscribe and see for yourself that we are the
    same old fun list devoted both to the philosophy and minutiae
    of cataloging.

>cyclops, who really does NOT understand why anyone wouldn't want folks
>          to know what a NON-PRIVATE list is even about

     We delight in folks knowing what we are about; we just want to
      to take sensible precautions against subverters of the list.
      Any brilliant devices that Douglas might come up with (and
      coming up with brilliant devices is his department, not mine) would
      of course be available for the use of other lists.

>  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of [log in to unmask]
  Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Bitnet:   ulcjh@ubvm