Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:07:48 -0400
Bill Weylock wrote:

>Now I'm off on an adventure to find what awful things I may have done in
>changing everyone to FULLHDR.

Well, many, many people prefer to have tags in their subject line. This
setting has the exact same features as full header, plus the tag. You have
taken away their tags, and nothing else has changed for them. I know
several listowners that have their list default to subject tags, as they've
found that a majority preferred them.

As for dual header. On some corporate LANs with gateways the name and
address are stripped from the From field and replaced with something else.
These people don't know who wrote the message and are unable to reply
privately, unless some signature was included. The dual header option is
not well known, but with it an additional header is repeated inside the body.

Personally I prefer the short header as the message is smaller and I don't
get extra header lines that I don't want. I don't want tags, as I use
filters on the To field to put the messages into the respective mailboxes.
Short header has one downside for list owners. If you have someone forging
the From in posts you need full headers (or subject headers) to be able to
determine just where the message actually originated from.

Don.