Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:59:23 -0700
At 11:53 PM 1/16/97 -0600, you wrote:
>No, Nathan, I haven't checked the ftp site recently, will do so.

>Some people, Dan, make do with eight year old dot matrix printers.
>Binding is a problem also.  I know how to do hand binding but it
>is labor intensive, especially with hundreds of single sheets of
>lightweight paper.  Looseleaf binders work ok, but the holes wear
>out quickly with light paper, need a good supply of "hole reinforcers."
>Heavy stock works fine for looseleaf, but that won't go through my
>printer.

Yeah, being a librarian and all, I know all that.  Hell, don't pay Eric a
hundred bucks for it.  How about if I print one from Word or .pdf (your
choice) on a LaserJet with quality 20 lb copy paper, have it pin bound
(like lots of libraries do for nonpermanent binding, such as temporary
binding for periodicals), and you then make a donation of what you think is
fair to the library I work for?  You get a tax write off, the library makes
a few bucks, and you get a printed manual that will last well past the time
a new edition is out.  Twenty bucks should more than cover the printing and
binding and first class mailing to Texas, and everybody comes out ahead.

Now to the rest....this offer isn't to dozens or hundreds of people.....but
I'd do it for a small number.  The pin bindings hold our printed journals
list together for six months to a year with VERY heavy student use.  Of
course someone who wanted fancy (which seems silly to me for something
that'll be replaced in six months or a year) could send the pages to a
local commercial binder for twenty bucks max.

>No printed manual, though, I'll bring it up again. LISTSERV deserves
>a good printed manual and I can be obnoxiously persistent on the topic,
>as I have been for some time.

No, not YOU!   o-)

And if Eric holds to his guns, fine.  It is his business.  Besides, just
think of all the products that don't have printed manuals anymore.  Start
with WP7 as an example.

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king.