Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:36:12 -0600
> Is the only interface to Listserv via email?  If I have root
> on the box in question, isn't there some form of commandline
> interface I can use to add myself as one of the list owners and
> do other similar admin-like activities?

There is both a command line interface as well as a web interface.  It's
been a while since I was the Listserv postmaster, so I don't remember what
the command syntax is, but I do remember it being there.

Btw: there is another email list for postmasters that would be more
appropriate for this than the Owner's list.

> I know where the files
> are that store this information, but it appears to be a binary
> format and I'm afraid to just edit the files for fear of the
> consequences.  Actually I know better and would never use this
> technique except as a last resort after making the appropriate
> backups of course. :)

Some files you can edit by hand, others do don't want to.

> The next pressing issue is the delivery of bounce messages or
> error notificiations.  Currently these messages are being sent
> back to the sender of the message.  Can I get these messages
> to instead be sent to the list owner or better yet /dev/null?
> At some point from what I've read so far I need to setup the
> auto-delete feature to handle the root of the problem instead
> of putting a bandaid over it.  But alas I'm not that advanced
> yet, I'm still learning to crawl as a listserv admin.

Bounce messages should go back to the owner - and the owner should be
dealing with them.  Most definitely don't just send them to /dev/null -
bounces should be handled and not ignored.

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                      ICQ:     3581645
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Geography                    ph: 979-458-1539
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-862-4487