Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:40:12 -0500
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Glenn Alperin wrote:
> I have a need to backup the list archives from the LISTSERV server to my local
> machine.  (The reason I need to do so is long and drawn out and well out of the
> scope of this list.)  If I've read the manual correctly, all I need to do is get
> an index of the list files, ( index listname ) and then GET the respective files
> specified in that report.

That should be it, though restoring the logs to the list might be another
thing.  I did this once for one of my lists.  The list was at that time on
an IBM VM/VMS platform and the LISTSERV administrator said he was going to
dump the first year (1991) of our archives as the site was running out of
storage room. My co-owner saved that year on the harddrive of her pesonal
computer aat work (this was around '93 - '94 and personal harddrives
weren't in the gigabyte range) and on tape at the university, and I saved
all of that year on a series of stiffies. The LISTSERV administrator later
restored that year from the tape version.

Douglas [log in to unmask]