Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Oct 1994 18:41:40 +0100
On Tue, 25 Oct 1994 23:26:00 EDT Wayne Marr <[log in to unmask]> said:

>   What command do I  use to send the message to our  machine so that it
>   is automatically distributed on each add?

You mail a copy of the message to LISTSERV prefixed with:

PUT xxxxx.WELCOME PW=yyyyyy

Where xxxxx is the name of the list and yyyyyy is the list password.

>   An example would be helpful.  Also, from the documentation it appears
>   that I don't need the help of the system's person.

Correct.

>   Second, since  our's is really  a mailing  list, can I  eliminate the
>   standard "You  have been added  with a personal greeting.  They can't
>   use most of the commands on the page that is sent.

Follow the same steps to create  a file called xxxxx.MAILTPL. Have a look
at the  file called DEFAULT.MAILTPL and  locate the messages you  want to
modify. Each message  starts with a >>> sequence followed  by a name, say
ADD1. If you want  to suppress ADD1 and ADD2, write  the following to the
xxxxx.MAILTPL file:

>>> ADD1
.qq
>>> ADD2
.qq

When you store  the xxxxx.MAILTPL file, the messages in  question will be
suppressed.

  Eric