LYDIA FISH <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Mar 1992 16:41:00 EST
wwii-l on LISTSERV@ubvm - World War II Discussion List.
       or [log in to unmask]

WWII-L on LISTSERV@UBVM  World War II Discussion List

Topics such as history, strategy, technology, personalities,
political issues, general information, and "trivia" are welcome.
Announcements of reunions and other items of interest to World War II
veterans (and those who still remember and honor them) will also be
posted.

The list will be self-moderated by a system of "flags" in the
subject line to allow subscribers to skip topics they are not
interested in reading.  Further information on this will be
sent when a subscription is recorded, or you can contact the
list-owner.

To subscribe to WWII-L, send the following command to
LISTSERV@UBVM (or [log in to unmask]) via mail text
or interactive message:

SUBSCRIBE WWII-L Your_full_name

For example: SUBSCRIBE WWII-L Larry Jewell.

   Owner: Larry W. Jewell ([log in to unmask])
Co-Owner: Lydia Fish      (fishlm@snybufva)
Co-Owner: Toby Hughes     ([log in to unmask])

Here's the introductory text...

Welcome to WWII-L, a list dedicated to the discussion of the
greatest cataclysm of the Twentieth century (and, hopefully,
the last.)

I'm Larry W. Jewell and I'll be listowner until further
notice.  I can be reached at the addresses listed at the end
of this notice.  Lydia Fish and Toby Hughes are the folks I've
conned into being co-listowners and can be contacted if you can't
reach me.  Our addresses are at the bottom of this file.

WWII-L will be self-moderated.  This means that each of you
will always try to remember that there is a human being on the
other end of the net, and the "Golden Rule" is rule number
one!

Our subject is HUGE and not everyone will be interested in
everything that moves over the mails.  To ease YOUR burden of
sorting the items you wish to read I offer the following
"flags".  They will go FIRST on the Subject: line.

SCI (for discussion of science and technology, may overlap
     with WEAP)
POL (Political discussions, such as the effects of the Yalta
     Conference)
TAC (Tactical and Strategic discussions, "Island hopping vs.
     Single axis")
REF (References, review, where-to-buy, etc.)
INF (Tables of Organization, raw data, chronologies, etc.)
DOC (Reproductions of documents, Declarations of War,
     Speeches, Treaties, etc.)
GEN ("Let's find a category for this.")
TRV (For you trivia buffs. Try to stump everyone.)
VET (For reunions, VA announcements, Legislation affecting veterans)

Some items will overlap, of course, but the main thrust of the item
should be clear.  Try not to ask so many questions in a single post
that the flags become inoperative.  Several short posts are preferable
to one long one, and are easier to answer and quote.

You'll be hearing from me if you "forget" this system.  I also
solicit additions to this list.  Please keep this table handy
until you're comfortable with the flags.

Now we come to the REALLY hard part.

Some subjects have been beaten to death, and I KNOW that they'll
come up almost as soon as the group gets started.  To save us
all time, I'll ask that the following subjects be covered by
private mail (in other words, talk to someone who CARES.)  I'm
not judging the validity of anyone's arguments one way or the
other in these subject, just that I have yet to see one person
change their mind about them.

1. The Holocaust
2. Did Roosevelt Know About The Coming Attack on Pearl Harbor?
3. (Watch this space...)

I'm happy to state that William Thacker has accepted the title
of "Honorary Listowner".  He has the (glad I DON'T) task of
moderating SCI.MILITARY on Usenet and the Sci.Military Digest.
(Submissions to same can be made by e-mail to [log in to unmask])
(Send submissions for "50 Years Ago" to [log in to unmask])

One last item, STATE YOUR REFERENCES!  You're in tough company
here.  Some of the folks in this list are VERY sharp, and
you'll end up with egg on your face if you haven't done your
homework.

Enough talking.  I can be reached at the following addresses;

Larry W. Jewell                      [log in to unmask]
Hawkins Grad Hse. Box 337            JEWELL@PURCCMACE
W. Lafayette, IN, 47906-3571

If I am unreachable, contact:

Toby Hughes

Or:

Lydia Fish, Director
Vietnam Veterans Oral History and Folklore Project
Buffalo State College
1300 Elmwood Avenue                   FISHLM@SNYBUFVA
Buffalo NY 14222

#Larry W. Jewell (ex-USN)  JEWELL@PURCCMACE   [log in to unmask]     #
#"Sunday's horoscope is noteworthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly#
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." #
#--"Your Horoscope," L.A. Evening Herald Express, Saturday, Dec. 6, 1941.   #