Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 18:24:05 -0600
At 08:38 AM 9/4/1997 +0000, Ione Smith wrote:
>> integrity anyway.  I come home from work and post a question to
>> the ecology list.  Assume that my question even has a "tone" to it.
>> My boss, unknown to me, is also on the list.  He sees my post and my
>> name and gets very irritated.  His attitude toward me changes, my
>> evaluations suffer, etc.
>
>You shouldn't have sent a post like that to a list anyway. Think of the
>damage you could be doing to your boss' reputation.

The BASIC RULE is that NO ONE should EVER post anything to ANY LIST that
they aren't willing to see on the FRONT PAGE OF THE PAPER.

Some people think I'm outrageous or crazy at times.  But NOTHING I've ever
posted on a list has ever been anything I've been ashamed of, wouldn't
stand behind, wouldn't support in public.

Actually, you should think about the same thing with private email.  It is
just the same as private snail mail.  Do you COMPLETELY trust the
recipient?   Do you KNOW that s/he won't use it in some way against you,
your company, your family?  Even think of love letters....Ann Landers could
tell you how many folks have written love letters to a mistress/lover/etc.
and then when things broke up, the "third party" used them to get back at
the one who sent the letters.  Think about it.  Even if you aren't involved
in anything illicit.

>My own list is set to review by owners. I have been on several sensitive
>lists and services, dealing with touchy ethical issues. I wanted to
>maintain strict confidentiality.

And doing anything otherwise is foolhardy for many reasons.  I've been
running lists for over seven years, and used to have them all open.
Several years ago when spammers started hitting lists, we (almost all
listowners) learned VERY quickly to change the options for
selfpreservation.  And requiring confirmation of subs is a part of that too.

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534