Sun, 8 Nov 1998 18:50:32 -0600
> I think its optional on any lines.  They are just straight text (except
> for the substitute variables) between the ">>>" section dividers.

in the header it's required.. in the welcome and farewell files not required and
don't need the >>> .. this isn't part of mailtmp.

> Only way I know of.  You might get yourself a hotmail, yahoo, or similar
> account to test with to keep your friend out of the loop.

Just send 'get listname welcome'  or 'get listname farewell'  to listserv address
and you'll get them basically as seen except you won't see the SUBJ: if that
has been placed in the files.

from 6.8.1. of listowner manual:

Cleo.. [log in to unmask]

"Turn your face to the moonlight/Let your memory lead you
Open up, enter in/If you find there the meaning of what happiness is
Then a new life will begin"