Lanny Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 May 2003 18:29:07 -0400
Thanks to all who replied to my question about confirmation and so on
with the automation I was trying to build.  I for one think the LISTSERV
web interface is just fine, but I have folks who won't go there for ANY
reason, so I get an email asking to change address or turn off mail or
whatever.

I had a suggestion to make the 'from' the subscriber and then they would
have to reply to the confirm mechanism, and that really makes a lot of
sense.  I am thinking about that, but wondering what the "fear factor"
of that might be, and might try it with a couple of folks.

Using the JOB card worked once it was pointed out to me that it was "//
JOB" ... my old brain translated CJL to JCL and that's where I came up
with "//JOB".  I was awfully tempted to put "/*" at the end ... :-)

The easiest was to tack my password on to the generated command, and it
worked like a charm.  My only problem with that is that, as stated, my
password is part of the email (and part of the source code) and that
makes me very uneasy.  I wish there was some way to 'mask' that, but I
will study and see if I can figure out the best way to go (right now I
am leaning towards the user-confirms scenario, which only takes them to
one screen or they can reply to the email if they prefer).

Anyway, thanks for all of the help.

I have been out here for quite some time and have learned a lot of good
stuff (and I am very glad I don't have ANY Earthlink subscribers!).  If
ever something comes up where I think I can offer some meaningful input
I will.

Take care.

Lanny Pierce
Kat sKan