Fri, 7 Apr 1995 01:13:43 -0500
On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:
> The problem user knows which lists I am subscribed to, as he is also
> subscribed to many of them as well.
>    I think that it can now be considered harrasment, as he has just posted a
> note to me threatening a lawsuit of some sort. I posted Jim Cock's comments
> about the First Amendment rights and the Net, and the net.jerk has just sent
> me a threatening note. What do I do now?

For now, I would say ignore him, do not dignify him with a response.
If he didn't specify the grounds of the suit, or the court, he's probably
bluffing, hasn't the knowledge or financial resources for a successful
suit.  Of course, if he has the money, he can hire the knowledge.

From what you say it seems he's vague as to the grounds for a suit.
Violating his 1st amend. rights by kicking him off?  Libel/slander for
complaining about his attacks on you on other lists?  Whatever, if you
have evidence (hope all the lists in questions keep archives) you should
have no worry, especially if he sent exactly the same message attacking
you to multiple lists.

Again, let his service providers and the listowners in question know of
his activities.  You didn't specify what you meant by "a threatening note."
If he is using the Internet to send personally threatening items, your
local police, state police and the FBI would probably  like to know
about it, maybe the postal service also.

Ignore him personally (he may just want attention and to feel important)
but do check the other areas (serv. providers, listowners, cops).

A couple of books you might like to look at, if you haven't already, are
_Net Law_ by Lance Ross, Osborne/McGraw-Hill   and
_Cybersapce and the Law: Your Rights and Duties in the Online World_
   by Edward A. Cavazos & Gavino Morin, MIT Press

Going strictly by your description (have to be fair, haven't heard his
side or seen concrete evidence) it sounds like you've got a disturbed
individual on your hands.

Anyone interested in setting up a "listowner's defense trust" for such
situations?

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L