Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 May 1998 15:05:02 -0500
>what are the reply-to options and what does each mean; specifically
>reply-to= user?

reply-to= sender
   This makes any reply-to header generated by listserv for a given list
reply-to= list
   This makes any reply-to header generated by listserv for a given list
reply-to= user@address
   This makes any reply-to header generated by listserv for a given list
   go to a specific person at a specific address.

Additionally, you can add either

,respect
   respect what the reply-to header generated by a particular message to
   the list says, regardless of the previous part of the reply-to keyword
,ignore
   ignore any reply-to headers in any e-mail message sent to a list.  This
   is particularly useful on a list where people are either incapable or
   unknowledgeable about how to make sure they know where their reply is going

I think I got them all.

>does that mean that any reply will go to the user as oppossed to the
>entire list?

I think what you want is reply-to= sender

Keep in mind that all of this assumes, (aside from reply-to=list, ignore)
that the various e-mail programs that your users are using are capable of
interpreting and dealing with the reply-to header in e-mail messages.  For
example, if you sent me a message with a different reply-to header from
where the message was sent from, unless I happened to notice it, which I
rarely do, I would send back the message to the sender, primarily because,
while my e-mail program seems to recognize that a reply-to header exists,
it seems to otherwise ignore it.

>Thanks.
>
>--Brian

Glenn Alperin