"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863.1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Apr 1992 07:13:00 EDT
>Hi, I own a historically oriented list, WWII-L, and several of the members
>have asked for information about similar lists.  I'd like to invite listowners
>who own such lists to send me information so I can make a unified posting to
>my list.  I will also supply information on WWII-L upon request.

Requests for information about lists should be directed to the listserv
list NEW-LIST, preferrably after you have done a search of those and
other list databases.  To find out how to do THAT, please send the
following listserv cmd to node NDSUVM1, aka vm1.nodak.edu --

    GET LISTSOF LISTS

You will find therein a prototypical Listserv Database Search script
that should be saved for future reference.  Once modified, it should
be sent to the above listserv location.

As part of the documention of Listserv 1.7c a new file was created
called LISTFAQ MEMO.  I particularly enjoyed the following sentence --

     A well-trained "searcher" with a couple EXEC's/COM files/scripts
     to assist in sending requests via mail and good connectivity to
     one of the archive sites can easily obtain an answer from the
     computer in less time than a human being could type a new one,
     unless of course the answer is very short (like "No, this cannot
     be done").

Is your host's Listserv facilities up to date?  Here are what I believe
are the current TOOLS filelist entries for the LDBASE functions.  The
actual files would need to be retrievable from one of your (system's)
disk --

> q f ldbase exec
Filelist entry from TOOLS FILELIST:

filename filetype   GET PUT rfm lrecl nrecs   date     time   description
-------- --------   --- --- --- ----- ----- -------- -------- -----------
LDBASE   EXEC       ALL LMC V     124   221 91/11/18 23:40:42 VM/REXX version, r
equires LSVIUCV

> q f lsviucv module
LSVIUCV  MODULE     ALL LMC F    6584     1 91/12/25 01:36:52 IUCV driver for LD
BASE EXEC

> q f ldbase com
LDBASE   COM        ALL LMC V      77   879 91/10/31 18:57:38 VAX/VMS version

/Pete
--
Peter M. Weiss                     | pmw1 @ PSUADMIN  |  psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg - PennState Univ.  | not affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm