Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Feb 1993 00:12:50 +0100
On Fri, 12 Feb 1993 11:03:39 EST Matthew Simpson <054340@UOTTAWA> said:

>Now I know  that PSYCGRAD must die. It's a  real shame, especially given
>the new  digest features (not  to mention all  the others). I  do think,
>however, that it is a shame that  the program won't work without RSCS in
>a system. It's a great loss, I think.

I will try one last time.

First, you could  move your list to  any of the 280  other LISTSERV sites
and maintain it without RSCS. Hundreds  of lists are maintained that way,
you know.

Second, as I said the problem is  not that LISTSERV can't work without an
RSCS link. You could  keep the list without an RSCS link,  as long as you
updated the  configuration files to reflect  the fact that you  no longer
had an RSCS link. You would  lose functionality in that your server would
be  totally isolated,  the  rest of  the network  wouldn't  know you  run
LISTSERV, subscription requests wouldn't be  forwarded, there would be no
DISTRIBUTE  because there  wouldn't  be any  topological information  any
longer, and so on. But the list would keep working.

The  problem is  that U.  of  Ottawa will  no  longer be  allowed to  run
LISTSERV, even  for local lists, when  they leave BITNET. The  license is
linked to the BITNET membership. This is a political decision I have made
in order to inconvenience sites which leave BITNET to save a few thousand
dollars a  year. A  LISTSERV that can't  talk to the  other servers  is a
royal  pains in  terms  of user  confusions  and it  generates  a lot  of
questions and complaints to me, both  from the local site and from users.
In practice,  sites that  leave BITNET  would terminate  all network-wide
lists because  of the problems I  mentioned, but would keep  enjoying the
software for local  administrative lists. The users I  wrote the software
for  can  no longer  use  it,  but  local  administrative tasks  are  not
impacted. That is not what I want, hence the rule.

If you think this is silly, let me give you an example. The rektor (head)
of  our  university  has  arranged   for  an  electronic  debate  on  the
privatization of the university to  be organized, based on LISTSERV. This
was  successful and  they  now want  to  use LISTSERV  for  all sorts  of
administrative lists, it is going to be a key component in a wide plan to
get rid of the tons of paper we get in our mailboxes.

Now, say my management decided BITNET  is obsolete and we should drop off
to save a  few thousand dollars a year. The  rektor probably doesn't know
or care what BITNET  is - and why should he? This just  isn't his job. If
my management said we should leave  BITNET, he wouldn't even want to know
about it, and if someone brought it to his attention he wouldn't take any
action - and why should he? But removing the administrative mailing lists
to save a few  peanuts is something he would never  allow. The service is
worth more to him than this amount of money - end of story.

Within 6 months LISTSERV will probably be able to fully interoperate with
servers without  NJE connectivity.  This version will  be free  to BITNET
sites, and licensed to non-BITNET sites at a higher cost than the average
BITNET membership so  that leaving BITNET but keeping  LISTSERV would not
save you any money.

Now, if instead  of complaining on this list  and posting misinformation,
you had made a business case to your management saying that your teaching
will be impacted by this attempt at saving a minor amount of money, maybe
they would listen to you and change their mind.

  Eric