Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:29:28 -0800
Or you could let Auto-Delete handle it for you -- that would cut down on
the volume of bounce messages considerably ...

Sherry

>At 06:45 AM 1/6/98 -0800, Dave Kelley wrote:
>>
>>Like all of you I'm sure, I have to check my error messages from time to
>>time and cull out the bad addresses and delete them from the list
>>memberships.
>>
>>I've been doing these one at a time and confirming each one.  A real
>>PITB!
>>
>>I was wondering if there was a way to compile the messages into a batch
>>job of some kind and delete them all from one message.  Then confirm
>>only once without having to do a bunch of those too.
>>

>        Have you set a personal password for use with your LISTSERV(R)
>software?
>That is the first step to cutting down on the number of steps to do this
>sort of thing.  My daily maintenance runs something like this:  I scan
>through the error messages and as I do, I cut and paste bad email addresses
>into one message to the list server.  Since you can send multiple commands
>in the same email message, I simply stack all of my delete requests in the
>body of the message, using this syntax:
>
>QUIET DEL listname [log in to unmask] PW=my_password
>QUIET DEL listname [log in to unmask] PW=my_password
>QUIET DEL listname [log in to unmask] PW=my_password
>
>Including the password on each line avoids that annoying problem of
>confirming each command request.
>
>I am sure this could be handled through some form of a run job, but I can
>use this method to collect bad email addresses through the course of my
>work day, pasting in all of those defunct AOL addresses as they appear in
>our lists throughout the day's activities.
>

>Doren Burrell
>Discovery Channel Online

   Sherry Beauchamp         Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
   [log in to unmask]                   http://www.SSRN.Com

   Leading Social Science Research Delivered to Your Desktop Daily