Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:46:11 -0500
>This is for those who have medical related lists, particularly
>those with medical support groups.
>
>There is a Michael J. Berry   [log in to unmask]
>who appers to be trying to subscribe to every med related list
>he can find.  He didn't yet know how to do it, he sent it to
>the list and his syntax was wrong, but I imagine he'll learn.
>Anyway, since I had the header it showed he was sending this to
>over a hundred med related lists.  I sent it to my coowner and
>she found his web site.  He's a "health care consultant" and
>one of his fields is collection of unpaid medical bills.
>We figure he's probably after subscription lists, as no one can
>follow that many lists.  Could be wrong, of course.    Douglas

hmmmm, there really are some sour fellows out there.  I think I'd be safe
in saying that this might be another good reason for a call out to people
to make their lists

* Subscribe= By Owner
* Review= By Owner

and for good measure, so he can't find your list very easily, in the first
place:

* Confidential= Yes

and just to make sure he doesn't try and trick listserv into thinking he
is the listowner of a given list:

* Validate= Yes

Seems to me that all of this is rather common sense, particularly with
regard to lists focussing on medical issues.  There should really be no
reason for anybody (even list members) to have the collection of e-mail
addresses for your list at their disposal.

Now granted, there are lists, like mine, where I will sporadically post
the list of addresses and people subscribed to the list.  However, this
posting is directly to the list, and nobody who is not subscribed can
search the archives to find out that such an e-mail was sent in the first
place.

One thing I've learned just from having prosopagnosia over all these years
is this:  to trust people you do not know very well is very likely to get
you burned badly.  With the internet as it is today, and many people
forgetting common decency when looking for information or when presenting
information, this is even more the case.

Anyway, just my two cents on the issue.

Glenn, list-owner (in name only) of the faceblind list
Curious about face blindness (prosopagnosia)?  check out:
http://daniel.drew.edu/~galperin/folks.html