Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 May 1999 23:22:49 -0600
On Sun, 16 May 1999 23:50:45 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Umm, what if the list is run on LSOFT machines for a fee, and LSOFT
>doesn't want to lose a paying customer, Francoise?

Come on Doug, there is no need to be insulting.  L-Soft's customers are the List
Owners, not the list subscribers.  Fewer subscribers = lower list hosting costs.
What owner will insist on paying more to have fewer subscribers.  It makes no
sense and is completely unrealistic in our experience at L-Soft.  Part of the
list-hosting agreement covers things like this.  No subscriber to an L-soft
hosted list will be forced to stay on the list against their will (your
scenario).

Sometimes getting them unsubscribed successfully after thay have changed their
address 3 times and run it through 2 blind forwarding services is another story,
but that's not even close to the same thing since we are actively trying to
remove them.

>This is not involved in that but keep in mind that there are lots of sites
>running old listserv and other software and the site administrators
>couldn't care less about that list stuff.

I think this topic is sufficiently dead that it need not be beat on any further.