Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:57:47 -0400
On 29 Aug 99, at 13:05, Ingrid Shafer wrote:

> I attempted  to delete (by e-mail) a subscriber who was subscribed under two
> addresses *@email.mci.com  and *@mci.com and was receiving double messages.
> I deliberately sent the full address (*@mci.com) intending to leave him
> subscribed to the variant in which he could both receive and send mail.  The
> system deleted him under BOTH addresses!!!

LISTSERV 1.8d has a new feature which makes it possible for LISTSERV to
recognize that [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] are one and the same address.
If a duplicate subscription existed from before the alias was made then
when you try to delete one, then it would delete both, and it would warn
you of this. The documented way of doing this is to delete both and then
re-add one.

The way to prevent the aliases from working is to remove the alias file
and to go into standalone mode so that you don't receive updates any more.
Most people prefer to have aliases working so that the subscriber can't
get subscribed under both addresses in the first place (and can post from
either address while having only one subscribed).

For more information on aliases:
http://demo.lsoft.com/v18d-mnt.html#ALIASES

Francoise