Song Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:54:34 -0400
In my own case, with the various lists I run, I always (a) make the list
rules public and easily accessable and (b) require members to come to me
with complaints and be as specific as possible.  I.e., if they think that
someone has broken a rule, I need to see the -entire- post in question,
what rule they believe has been broken, etc.

If I decide that someone has broken a rule, I give them a formal warning,
and make it public.  This isn't to embarass anybody.  It's to prevent the
sort of behind the scenes manipulation I've seen on some other lists.  If
someone breaks the rules three times, they get suspended for a month, and
then come back on probation for a few months and if they keep breaking the
rules, they get suspended for two months the next time, incrementing a
month or two each time it's required.

I've only had to suspend someone from a list four times in my entire life,
and three times it was the same person.

I didn't particularly -like- setting up rules to begin with, because I'd
hoped people could be mature enough to begin with that they weren't
necessary, but I was probably dreaming :)

--Julie Waters

[log in to unmask]     http://drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu/~julie/

         Artificial Intelligence beats real stupidity.