Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 10:04:13 -0400
On Tue, 14 Jun 1994 12:34:22 -0500, Dan Flasar wrote:
>    This is a question I've simply not been able to get a good answer to.
>    What is the best commercial service to use for folks who want to partic-
>ipate in bitnet discussion lists?

As nearly as I can tell, the answer changes from day to day.  Every time I
look up there is some newcomer offering an even better deal for Internet
(hence LISTSERV) access.

The last time I asked, Delphi.Com offered OFF-PEAK (evenings and weekends)
service at $20 per month for 20 hours (and not too expensive for more than
20 hours).  Should someone want to subscribe to lists, set each list to
INDEX and then use the lisst@... facility to retrieve
messages of interests, it should be possible to follow 100 lists or so in
the evenings for that $20 a month (not too bad).  I *assume* Delphi.Com
offers a POP mail server (I've found I can download 40 messages or so in
less than 5 minutes with a 14.4 bps modem).  Before you know it, someone
will have a better deal.

Of course, if the subscriber is a yakkity-yak like moi, then ANSWERING
messages on all those lists might get expensive ;-)

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax