John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:20:52 -0400
> The organization for which I manage a list thinks it would be a good idea
> if the Subject: line on all distributed postings included, as the first
> item, the name of the list.  Their idea is that it's easier for people to
> manage mail, separate the list mail from the spam, etc.  (Yes, I've told
> people to filter their mail on the header, but not many subscribers really
> know, or want to learn, how to do that.)
>
> Is this an option on LISTSERV 1.8d?  I've seen it on other lists but I
> don't know where to look for it in the manual.

The subscriber option is SUBJecthdr. If you want anything other than the
listname, then you use  Subject-Tag=  in the list header.  If the list's
name was ACTION_MOVIE_HEROS, you would probably want to use:
Subject-Tag= AMH, as there wouldn't be much subject field left.

> Similarly, they've asked if it possible to add to the footer a line saying
> "You are subscribed as" which gives the subscriber her email address on the
> membership list.  I actually think this would be a good idea, as academic
> addresses, especially, seem particularly likely to be modified by the IT
> folks such that though you still get mail you can no longer post.  Again,
> though, I don't know where to look in the manual.

This requires Mail Merge which requires LSMTP as the only outbound mailer.
You must make sure that LSMTP is set up to accept Mail-merge from the
LISTSERV site.  Then add  Mail-merge=Yes to the list configuration.
Create a Bottom_banner template with merge fields, e.g.

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER
.fo off
You are subscribed as: &*TO;