linda -i didn't think this through <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:13:00 EST
ok...I have my list set to open, confirm.
I'm the send-editor.
We have the gateway set to moderated so that all mail is supposed to go
to the list *then* to the newsreaders....
So, how did this guy get past it all and how can I keep this from
happening again? Our server is 1.8a and is still up on an IBM mainframe.
*pout*
-linda
ps. by the way, I tried to get onto the spam list, but the server
refused all my attempts to confirm. I wonder if people have the same
problem with my list?

************** here it is- header and pertinent program only *******

From: [log in to unmask](Bruce Maher)
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.pmdf-l,bit.listserv.pns-l,bit.listserv.politics,bit.listserv.por
Subject: Free Spam Program, Does it Work??
Date: 26 Sep 1995 00:28:20 -0400
Sender: [log in to unmask]

-----------------------------------Cut Here--------------------
#!perl
#Assumes both Perl and Inews are accessible through
#your home directory.  If not, either place them in your path
#or adjust the script.
#You must also have a ascii text file called groups.txt, which
#contains a list of each group you want to spam.  One to a line.
#No punctuation at end of line.
#Your spam message must be called message.txt, and it should
#be in ascii.  The first line must be you subject header:
# For example:  Subject: this is a spam.
# You may add in other headers if you wish, but there must be a
#blank line before your actual message begins.
#run program by typing "perl spam.pl.
#
#
#!perl
print "Running...\n";
$newsrc =
"$ENV{'HOME'}/testgrps.txt";
open(GROUPS, "$newsrc");
while($group=<GROUPS>)
        {print "Posting to: $group";
 open(NEWS,"|inews -h");
print NEWS "Newsgroups: $group";
 open(MESSAGE, "message.txt");
while($line=<MESSAGE>) {
print NEWS $line;
 }
 close NEWS;
if($?==0) { $success++ }
else { $fail++
}}$total = $success + $fail;print "Tried to post to $total
groups.\n$success OK, $fail failed.\n";