Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:09:43 EDT
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:34:25 -0400 Chris Pepper said:
>At 9:08 AM +1000 09/21/98, Paul Wayper (DPI ISD) wrote:
>>One of my list-owners has been GETting the <listname> LOGyymm files,
>>editing as appropriate (messages are suffixed by a line of minus signs)
>>and PUTting them back.
>
>        Assuming I have direct access to the archive directory, and a text
>editor that can leave line breaks as-is, can I open the logs directly, edit
>in-place, then save and restart LISTSERV to ensure it picks up the changes?
>Or would this cause other difficulties?

You would also have to delete the web archive index(es) corresponding to the
notebook(s) in question and let LISTSERV rebuild them (this can be done
by simply PUTting the list header, BTW; it does not require a restart).
You should also erase the listname.db* files in the Notebook= directory;
LISTSERV will rebuild them the next time someone does a search.

One thing that is recommended if you do have to edit archives is that you
do not edit the current notebook until after the next notebook is started.
This is because it is possible to get the notebook out of sync with the
digest, which can cause the digest not to be issued.

Nathan