"Philip Janus (at home)" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 11:50:50 -0500
At 08:07 01/09/96 EST, you wrote:
>Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]> sez:
>>Someone just sent a message to my list, so INFO.NET has just sent me a
>>half dozen errors:
>
>><[log in to unmask]>... Deferred: Connection refused by mailhost.infi.net.
>>Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
>>Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
>
>maybe i am misunderstanding you, but i get the impression that you think
>this kind of message is coming from the subscriber's host. this bounce
>is coming from the listserv host which is delivering the mail.
>
>Philip Janus <[log in to unmask]> sez:
>>I agree with you. Four hours has the feeling of a mail server set by someone
>>thinking in terms of corporate email as opposed to the internet
>
>um, i've been getting four hour bounces for as long as i've been running
>mailing lists (around five years) and, for the most part, they do not come
>from "corporate" mta's - the most common culprit is sendmail.
>
>rob woiccak

I'm going to try asking this again:
So on a high-volume list, if I give the guy 1-2 days leeway before I set
nomail, if his account is truly defunct, I now have upwards of several
hundred "message still undelivered after two weeks, message will be deleted
from queue" messages hanging over my head. Is there ANY way to get that
queue cleared or get LISTSERV to refuse the bounce messages so I don't have
to weed through hundreds of them myself?

TIA,
Philo