Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:20:19 -0500
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, David Scheu <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> Is there a way for a list owner to send an email to a subset of the
> list? For instance, all users who are set to DIGEST? I can generate a
> report via the web interface, but don't see what I would do with it,
> short of typing an awful lot of addresses by hand.

There have been many times that I wish I could directly email all the
subscribers on my list, or all those set to nomail, or all those subscribed with
AOL, or with Yahoo, etc., but there is no ideal easy way.  It would be a great
direction for future development of Listserv software.

Because I need to read email from various location, I use an ISP that allows me
to read mail on its Unix server, for which I use Pine software.  For any email,
Pine allows one to take any or all emails within the message.  So it's fairly
easy for me to issue the appropriate command (e.g. Q LISTNAME WITH DIGEST FOR
*@*) to get a list of the people I want to contact.  Once that list has been
received, Pine can just "take" the addresses and insert it into the address
field of a new email.

If you don't have that kind of software, you can still send the command, and
then copy all the names to a text document, separate each one with a comma and
space, and then paste that list into the address field of your email message (or
whatever syntax your software requires for multiple addresses).

Hope this helps.

      ***** blog:  http://raremusic.wordpress.com *****
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users