"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:40:17 -0800
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Ben Parker wrote:

> As has been said here a number of times, if you don't find the message
> text in the *.MAILTPL file(s) or other templates (*.WWWTPL) then it is
> hard coded in LISTSERV and cannot be modified.  The above text is hard
> coded and not changeable.

Is there a plan to make these currently hard-coded messages that
subscribers receive editable by list owners in a future version of
LISTSERV?  Which strings?  All of them, hopefully?

> In some cases objectionable text can be avoided by various 'work
> arounds'.  One workaround for above would be Default-Options= conceal
> which tells LISTSERV to ignore the 'name' portion of the email
> address.

By "ignore", do you mean that users will not receive this paragraph:

> >    Please supply your full name, as  in "SUBSCRIBE  LISTNAME Joe H.
> >    Smith".  Alternatively, if  you  want to  subscribe  anonymously,
> >    send the command: "SUBSCRIBE LISTNAME Anonymous". Your subscription
> >    will then be hidden automatically.

Or just that subscriptions with no name at all become acceptable?  This
would be opposite to the desired behavior (on my list), which is:

* Force people to specify a name for their subscription record, unless
  LISTSERV automatically detects the user's name from the "From" header
  of the subscription request.

* Prevent blank names or anonymous subscriptions.

* Prevent the "you may subscribe anonymously" instructions from
  appearing in any message sent to subscribers or persons attempting
  to subscribe.

--
Thanks,
Michael