Dan Kanagy <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 07:29:16 +0900
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
"Bayliss, Judy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Can someone explain what is causing the following errors and what we can
>do to prevent them?
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>554 [log in to unmask],bearlee@mail.execpc.com... Cannot send 8-bit
>data to
> 7-bit destination
>
>I've written to the postmaster at that location, got no response,
>various people here have looked at it and have no clue.....
>
>Anyone?

This is likely a problem you can't fix since it lies at the other end.
I would take the error message at face value.  Some of the e-mail from
your list contains ASCII codes that a 7-bit site can't handle and so
are being rejected.

I run a bilingual Japanese/English list, and I occasionally see
similar error messages from sites that I assume aren't 8-bit
clean and aren't equipped to receive e-mail with Japanese in them.

One "solution" is to specify "Translate= Yes" in your list header.
That will remove control characters from list e-mail and likely make
such e-mail acceptable to 7-bit sites.  However, if I did that with my
list, it would no longer be bilingual since we wouldn't be able to
send Japanese anymore.  So I just ignore the "cannot send 8-bit data
to 7-bit destination" errors.

Dan Kanagy               finger for PGP public key            [log in to unmask]
Tokyo, Japan                                              [log in to unmask]