"Pauline M. Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:01:53 +0000
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Adam Bailey wrote:

> As Eric explained, LISTSERV (1.8d, which I've yet to have the pleasure to
> work with) only does fuzzy domain matching with domains that have been
> pre-registered by the ISP. For example, MSN was the first case this was
> discovered for, because [log in to unmask] is the same as [log in to unmask]
> So, since Microsoft informed L-Soft of this, LISTSERV now considers
> [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] to be the same person, and will
> accept commands thusly.

That is great, but since [log in to unmask] is the SAME address (according
to the listserv registery) as [log in to unmask], why were they allowed to
subscribe twice.  If the registery treats them as the same address, then
that is like saying that [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] are both
subscribed to the list.   That is rediculous, because a) it can't happen
(or shouldn't) and b) If it did happen, I would be getting two messages,
in which case, I would want one deleted, but when I delete one, they both
get nuked.  Thus, my point comes around again......is there a way, that we
can delete ONLY one address, and leave another.  Like bypassing the fuzzy
logic option.

> >Is the case sensitivity issue ignored as Pauline is sugesting, and if so
> >how quickly could it be fixed?
>
> Case sensitivity has nothing to do with domain matching. It's just that
> both are parts of Pauline Marshall's argument in favor of standardization.

Exactly.  I don't care how it is 'fixed' or delt with, as long as
something is decieded as standard, and that standard is used all thru all
the commands. (if mmouse@ and MMouse@ are subscribed as two addresses,
they should, even with a (exact, or an 'only', be able to be deleted
seperately.

> Right now, the whole case sensitivity thing is a minor annoyance, at
> best. I'm certainly in favor of adding a switch that would specify
> whether you want the address in your command to be case sensitive or not,
> but it's not the first thing I'd do if I were lead developer at L-Soft.
> :)

Well, that is a step in the right direction at least.  I am glad to see
someone seeing that my ideas aren't totally wacked. :)

| Pauline M. Marshall         /  /                 --= MightyMouse =-- |
| [log in to unmask]           /  /        http://www.logic.net/~mmouse/ |
| UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.|