Buck-Naked <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 20:43:00 CST
From:   MUTT::TBUCK        "Buck-Naked" 16-MAR-1993 20:34
To:     BITNET%"[log in to unmask]",TBUCK
Subj:   some basic questions....

Could some kind soul answer a few questions for a somewhat new (and very
inexperianced) listowner?

I'd like set things up so that when people reply to messges that they get
from the list, they reply to the address of the list itself, and not to the
address of the original author of that posting. It seems that all I have to
do is change the "Reply-to=" from "Sender,Respect" to "List,Respect", but
how do I go about doing this? Also, I've noticed that several lists have
"List,Ignore" for this setting. What's the difference between "Respect" and
"Ignore". For that matter, it apears that there are *many* different
options I can set for how I want the listserv to run my list. Is there a
file with all of them listed so I have some clue as to what I can do?

To partialy answer my own question, it seems that all I have to do is "GET"
the list in question, make my changes, and then "PUT" it back, but not ever
having done this before, I wanna make sure I know what I'm doing before I
actually try it myself.

My fears range from not being able to "PUT" the list back correctly (and
having to have everybody resubscribe), to messing up their distribution
options (those dreaded columns 81-100). Since the only editor at my
disposal is the stone-aged "EDT", I don't have any way (that I know of) to
be totally sure of avoiding columms 81-100.

And as far as "PUT"ting the list back, do I send it as a the contents of a
piece of e-mail preceded by the "PUT" command itself? And should I put a
blank line between the "PUT" command and the "title" of the list? But wait,
I just read in one of the memo files that I should "PUT" the list back via
"SENDFILE". Is this the same thing as our Vax/VMS "send/file", for example:
"send/file file.name listserv@hearn"? Sorry that this is rather confusing,
but obviously I'm rather confused. :-)

Are there other logistical things I should know about running a list, apart
from the technical commands for adding and deleting users, and changing
list options and such. Is there a ".memo" file for listowners that details
some of the things that I might be called upon to do, or might want to do?
I've been the listowner of one of my lists for almost a year now, but I've
never really known what I was doing, and am only now starting to realize my
position. Thanx in advance for all the info...

                                            Tom Buck

P.S. I might as well plug my lists while I'm at it....

<[log in to unmask]> for the discussion of Miles Davis and his various sidemen
<[log in to unmask]> for the discussion of Sun Ra and his Arkestra (free-jazz)