Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 05:22:37 GMT
On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:51:28 -0700, Barry Deutsch <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>list should be posted ([log in to unmask]). I wish to change
>all occurences in the template file to [log in to unmask], which
>is the alias I want people to see).

 &LISTADDR  is the value that comes from the keyword  List-Address=

 &LISTNAME  seems to come from  List-ID= (if defined in your header) or
from the 'short' listname used internally by LISTSERV (at time of list
creation.)   (There appears to be a misprint in the Owners manual about
this.)

You cannot change the values for variables like &MYNAMES, &MYSELF, etc,
because they are global variables specific to the host running LISTSERV.

>I would rather use the variable approach
>than hard coding the alias for the posting address and the command address.

While this is a commendable goal, there seems to be only a partial way to
implement this in the case of [log in to unmask] vs. &MYNAMES.

You must set List-Address= Career-Doctor.com  in your header.  (Read the
owners manual about this TWICE!, it's confusing, but then look at the
first example.  Don't add Career-Mgmt to this!  Let LISTSERV do it.).

Then, in <listname>.mailtpl, wherever your have &MYNAMES or &MYSELF , you
will have to substitute LISTSERV@&KWD(list-address).  Wherever there is
&MYHOST you will have to substitute  &KWD(list-address).

Following is a discussion of a similar kind of alias setup from the list
archives:

"to make my list (THEOS-WORLD) appear to be accessible through
my domain name (theosophy.com), although the lists actually are on
home.ease.lsoft.com. My domain is on a WEB service provider. I have
access to POP mailboxes and email forwarding there. Can I make this
work if I do the following? :

on the WEB service provider:

        redirected to [log in to unmask]

        redirected to [log in to unmask]

        redirected to [log in to unmask]

in my default MAILTPL file I do the following global replacements on all
messages that have the following fields:
 [note he used the 'brute-force' method rather than using variables]

    replace &mynames
        with [log in to unmask]

    replace &myself
        with [log in to unmask]

    replace &myhost
        with theosophy.com

    replace &listaddr
        with [log in to unmask]

To which Eric Thomas said:

"You also need this [in your list header]

* List-Address= THEOSOPHY.COM

It should work fine.

  Eric
========
Good luck!
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]