Guest Account 4 <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:40:36 -0700
Hi!  Someone had posted the following to this list a month or so ago:

Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Cross-post to LSTSRV-L and LSTOWN-L:

I've asked my Listserv maintainer to link our Listserv to a gopher.  He's
recommended that I ask here how that may be done most simply and
inexpensively and to get the responses back to him.  Can anyone recommend
how to proceed to get and set up a gopher to read Listserv filelists and
notebooks?

Thanks for any help.

I contacted him and he said that he had gotten no replies.  I am looking
into this matter because I got the following note from someone:

  I have noticed that there are some gopher sites that have a way of
  building archives of LISTSERVs. They seem to be updated daily or sooner.
  And the postings appear with subject lines and as separate docs.

   Do you know how this is done? I'd like to do it in one of my gophers
 and I have no idea how it is done. I'm certain that it is automated and
 requires no intervention.

I know that LISTSERV lists can be "gatewayed" into Usenet.  In the case of
the person above, however, he wouldn't have a mail to Netnews gateway on
his Gopher server.  Besides, he would probably want the archives
(Notebooks) and other files associated with his list to be available on
his Gopher server also.

One option would be for him to put a "job" into place to periodically copy
the pertinent files to his Gopher server.  Can it be any easier or better
than this?

If we gateway his LISTSERV list into Usenet somehow, can we assume it
will show up on some Gopher server somewhere?

Incidentally, we are running LISTSERV for VM version 1.8a.  Probably
installing a Gopher server on our VM is not an option.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.  If you post a reply, please
send a carbon copy to [log in to unmask]

Thanks!