Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 00:55:44 -0500
I agree with most of what Anthea Tillyer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote in response to Steve Simon.

> Steve Simon wrote:
>
> >2.  Do all mail systems accurately represent my return address and does the
> >average Internet user know how to read the header files to know who sent the
> >message?
>
> Even if a mailer strips all information about the sender from the header of
> mail, does it really take a long signature to tell the name and email address
> of the sender? This concern is actually irrelevant.

There are many systems that show only one "From:" address,
usually the list address.  I have to keep reminding people to
sign their messages with their name and email address so that
others can respond by direct email rather than by sending
personal messages to the list.  It *is* helpful to have a sig.

But it certainly doesn't need to be long.  I like Anthea's one
line model:

> Peace,  Anthea Tillyer  ABTHC@CUNYVM    City University of New York

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>