Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 18:11:44 EST
>Introduction to Listserv(tm) mailing lists

LISTSERV(TM)

>1.  What is a Listserv?

What is LISTSERV?

>2. Who can use a Listserv?

Who can use LISTSERV?

>Almost anyone can access a Listserv. Some listservs, due to nature of

Almost anyone can access mailing lists. Some mailing lists, ...

>3. How can I find a Listserv(tm) mailing list that interests me?
>
>You can search for a list on  a specific topic (a MUCH easier and faster
>way than getting the entire list of all Listserv lists!), by sending
>
>    LIST GLOBAL DOG

You can also search the LISTSERV list reference online at:

                    http://www.lsoft.com/listref.html

>5. Wait a second!  If I only give  the Listserv my first  and last name,
>   how does the Listserv know where to find me to deliver my mail?!

If I only give LISTSERV ... how does LISTSERV know ...

>Many Listserv(tm)  computers maintain a  file database along  with them.
>These are often referred to as FileServs.

Uh? :-)

Let me quote from the legalese that comes with our trademark licenses:

       A LISTSERV server
       We have several LISTSERV servers in our department

WRONG: A LISTSERV
       A LISTSERVer
       We have several LISTSERVs in our department

In headlines,  the use  of unqualified *product*  Marks is  tolerated, to
save  space, provided  that the  implied meaning  is "product",  and that
there is no  possible doubt about this. For instance,  you may print "XYZ
Assist  for LISTSERV",  meaning "XYZ  Assist  for use  with the  LISTSERV
product". You may  not print "Manage your LISTSERVs  with XYZ!", however,
because the implied meaning is either "server" or "list".

Our Marks  should not be abbreviated  or extended. You must  always state
our  Marks  exactly  as  they  are  written  on  your  trademark  license
certificate. In  practice, this is  only a problem with  LISTSERV. Always
write it exactly as LISTSERV - not LSV or LISTSERVE or LISTSERVER.

Our Marks may never be incorporated in company names, whether a corporate
name, partnership or d/b/a. Thus, you may not call your company "LISTSERV
Consulting".

  Eric