"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:02:00 EST
>bounces are sent back to the "smtp envelope" address. in a unix-style
>mailbox, that is the address in the "from " (not "from: ") header at
>the top of a message. list software should change that from the address
>of the poster to something like [log in to unmask], so that bounces
>owner-listname on your system).

Technically this is not quite accurate.  Bounces don't necessarily
go to the owner EVEN THOUGH the bounce is sent

TO: OWNER-listname@listhost

Why?   Because this notation means that LISTSERV does a lookup
of the ERRORS-TO: keyword in the listname definition.  Depending
upon explicit values coded on that listname's keyword, it may NOT
go to the owner(s), but a postmaster or some other cognizant
sys/list-admin.

I've got one of my lists setup to mail to a private BBS system.

Incidentally, mail TO: listname-REQUEST@listhost does go to
the non-QUIET owners.

Pete Weiss at Penn State