Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:00:36 -0600
>>The bulk-add syntax is documented in the Owners Manual sec 4.3.
>
>That is no way to answer her question. You can't assume that Lisa has the
>manual on her computer or even knows how to get it. You should have simply
>listed the commands she could use-- in other words, you should have
>actually answered her question.

Joe, wake up and smell the coffee.  People who have the abilities to
install the software certainly have the ability to read the docs and find
the URL therein for the full manual.  They then have the ability to read
said manual in their choice of formats and do what it says.  In fact, she
said that is what she did.  As indicated by the original questionner, if
she'd said she read it, and asked "will what it says in x.y do what I
want", then there never would have been any fuss.

>On the other hand, if you knew a specific URL that would transport Lisa to
>Owners Manual sec 4.3, you could have provided that. But simply telling
>someone to go look up a question in a book that person might or might not
>have is a bit snooty and unhelpful.

Anyone who doesn't know that www.lsoft.com is the URL for LSoft isn't smart
enough to be running LISTSERV.  The manual is easily found from the homepage.

Finally, anyone else could have (and perhaps did) respond as well as the

cheers, and chill out....

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/